June 13, 2007

Unexpected Errors

The new server somehow got disconnected from the distributed cache; if you got an unexpected error while posting or commenting (or whatever), that's why. 

Your post or comment (or whatever) would be saved successfully, but you wouldn't see the result because the server was trying to update the cache with.

Restarting the local cache manager fixed this, but that shouldn't be required.

Update: And if you got an error logging in, that was due to the same problem.  I've fixed a bug in the code that I think was behind this.  (It was certainly a bug, and it's certainly fixed; I'm just not 100% sure it was the cause of the problem we experienced.)

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 05:02 PM | Comments (6) | Add Comment
Post contains 116 words, total size 1 kb.

1 Hi Pixy! Had three more of those nonsense comments, which I deleted. Would you prefer that I did something else with them? I noticed some more on somebody else's mu.nu blog earlier today, but couldn't find them this evening.

Posted by: Old Grouch at June 14, 2007 11:39 PM (52CMP)

2 I uploaded a new version of the spam filter a few hours ago which seems to be successfully blocking them, so don't worry about it.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at June 15, 2007 02:45 AM (PiXy!)

3 Pixy,
 Just curious but have you had a look at Akismet for spam filtering? Wordpress.com uses it with pretty good success.

I don't know what the overhead or licensing (if any) comes up to but thought I'd mention it.

Posted by: blackflag at June 18, 2007 02:03 PM (Mq5jS)

4 I looked into it.  They charge for commercial use, and their rates work out to more than all our other operating expenses (excluding salaries) combined.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at June 18, 2007 03:24 PM (PiXy!)

5 Pixy, I mailed you about this but I'm not sure whether you read that mailbox regularly. Something really bad happened about three hours ago and now I'm getting lots and lots of "error 500" (i.e. "Internal server error) responses from mee.nu. My DNS translates it to 75.126.89.164. Pingplotter shows the route fast and clean; 80 millisecond, 100% success.

Posted by: Steven Den Beste at June 21, 2007 12:39 AM (+rSRq)

6 Thanks Steven.  Yes, that was the right address.

One of the web servers lost its NFS mount (or to be more precise, reads were timing out), which locked up all the processes so that eventually nothing was getting served at all from that machine.

A quick reboot solved the problem.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at June 21, 2007 02:30 AM (PiXy!)

Hide Comments | Add Comment

Comments are disabled. Post is locked.
11kb generated in CPU 0.02, elapsed 0.0193 seconds.
31 queries taking 0.0109 seconds, 58 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.